Mazda MX-5 2.0L Auto RF debuts in South Africa
- March 1, 2017
- Posted by Aimee Gous
- Comments Off on Mazda MX-5 2.0L Auto RF debuts in South Africa
Today Mazda Southern Africa introduces the much anticipated Mazda MX-5 RF (Retractable Fastback) through a unique digital retail launch. The launch is hosted on a Mazda Launch micro site – www.mazdalaunch.com, where limited launch RF units are made available directly to the public, giving them the opportunity to secure their own.
The Mazda MX-5 RF is based on the fourth-generation MX-5 Roadster Coupe, which has won more than 280 automotive awards around the world and became the first model to win both World Car of the Year and World Car Design of the Year in 2016. It is dedicated to the past, present and future of the world’s all-time best selling roadster.
While remaining true to its desire to make the pleasures of a convertible more accessible with the Roadster Power Retractable Hardtop, Mazda took the car one step further, adding an innovative design and a retractable hardtop that can be opened and closed with ease. The new top closes and opens in 13 seconds in a beautifully choreographed sequence at the flip of a switch, even when the car is moving at up to 10km/h. Like its predecessor, the MX-5 RF features one of the fastest retractable tops available, combining the practicality and convenience of a power roof with distinctive new lines that perfectly suit the KODO-inspired body shared with the new-generation soft-top MX-5. Featuring steering and suspension tweaked in the name of refinement, the MX-5 RF handles every bit as well as its perfectly balanced sibling while unsurprisingly offering a far quieter cabin with the roof closed.
The Roadster RF features fastback styling with a smooth roofline that curves down to the rear end, and its unique rear roof and retractable back window offer a new open-air feeling. Stowing the roof efficiently in the limited space available enables the Roadster RF to offer almost the same trunk space as the soft-top model. It is available in a 2.0-litre SKYACTIV petrol engine with a 6-speed automatic transmission. Model additions include the Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) advanced safety features; ?a navigation system and the automatic shift switch.
The Mazda MX-5 RF is designed and built to the highest standard of performance and reliability. This standard is backed up by a 3-year unlimited kilometre factory warranty. To provide complete peace of mind motoring, a 3-year service plan, a 3-year roadside assistance and a 5-year Corrosion Warranty are also included.
Model Lineup and Pricing
2.0L RF Roadster Coupe Automatic – R532,800 (Incl VAT)
- Max power 118 Kw @ 6000 rpm
- Max torque 200 Nm @ 4600 rpm
- Advanced keyless entry
- Advanced keyless push-button engine start
- Airbags SRS: front (driver and passenger) and side
- Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio capability
- Retractable Hardtop
- Climate control air-conditioning
- Cruise control
- Daytime running lamps (LED)
- Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
- Headlamps (LED)
- Headlamps auto on/off function
- Adaptive Front-lighting system (AFS)
- Hill Launch Assist (HLA)
- I-Stop Standard
- Leather seats
- Leather-wrapped: steering wheel, handbrake handle and gearshift knob
- Limited Slip Differential
- Internet radio integration (Pandora®, StitcherT and AhaT)
- Multi-function Commander Control
- Navigation system
- Black coloured mirrors
- Premium Bose® 203 watt amplifier with 9 speakers
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear-view mirror with auto dimming function
- 7-inch touchscreen display (MZD Connect)
- 17-inch Alloy wheels
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- AT Shift switch
- Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Mazda MX-5 RFProduct Overview
Unprecedented exterior styling
- When closed, the roof slopes down to the rear in the characteristic fastback style and creates a stunning silhouette.
- When open, the remaining rear roof creates a unique look and together with the back window, which opens as the roof is lowered, produces a new open-air feel.
- The body color lineup consists of six colors to highlight the MX-5 RF’s unique styling. Soul Red Metallic, Ceramic Metallic, Arctic White, Crystal White Pearl, Blue Reflex, Machine Grey and Jet Black.
Precision-crafted, high-quality interior
- The interior and exterior designs have been integrated to heighten the open-air feel with the top down. The creative interior design is the same as that of the soft-top model.
Quiet, comfortable cabin with a relaxed feeling
- The roof can be opened or closed by a simple flip of switch. Synchronizing and overlapping the various movements of the roof sections, enables MX-5 RF to achieve an opening/closing time of approximately 13 seconds (Measured from the time the switch is pressed until the roof locks in the lowered or raised position).
- An animation shown while opening and closing allows the driver to check the status of the roof in the meter display.
- Technologies to absorb and shut out sound keep the cabin as quiet as an ordinary passenger vehicle when the top is closed.
- Noise when the top is down is cut by reducing the wind around the driver and passengers.
- Trunk separate from the passenger compartment retained since the original MX-5
- The trunk’s capacity of 127 liters is almost exactly the same as that of the soft-top MX-5. It can accommodate two carry-on bags (within 55 cm x 40 cm x 25 cm).
- A multi-purpose box in the trunk can be used to store tools and other items.
Smooth, relaxed driving performance
- The MX-5 RF features the specially tuned SKYACTIV-G 2.0 petrol engine designed for relaxed performance even at high speeds or under heavy load.
- Responsive and secure, the braking system features 15-inch ventilated disc brakes in the front and 15-inch solid brakes in the rear.
- The soft-top model’s double-wishbone and multilink suspension, in the front and rear respectively, have been tuned for a smooth, quality ride that befits a hardtop.
Mazda MX-5 RFAdvanced Safety Features
Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)
The Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) optimizes distribution of light from the headlights according to driving circumstances. Depending on vehicle speed and steering input, the system points the low-beams headlights in the direction the driver intends to travel. The powerful LED headlamps swivel up to 15 degrees in the direction the driver is steering, revealing more of the corner.
Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
The Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) detects line marking on the road surface and warns the driver of unintentional lane departures. This system is particularly effective in situations where the road is continuously straight and drivers have a tendency to not pay sufficient attention to the road. When the lane change is accompanied by turn signal operation or acceleration, the system recognises the maneuver as intentional and does not sound an alarm.
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
The Blind Spot Monitoring gives off an audible alert in the event that a vehicle is detected in the vehicles blind spot. It assists the driver by scanning the external mirror’s blind spots. The radar is able to detect any unseen vehicles and through an LED icon alert the driver to help avoid making a hazardous lane changes.